Saturday, May 17, 2008

Working on the Railroad

Went to the Gold Coast Railroad Museum today with the family. The trip was a nice family outing and offered me the opportunity to do a bit of location scouting for my trip back next week. The Museum wasn't what I had expected, actually better. I'm a big history buff and even the grounds the museum are on have a huge history. So I was amazed none the less about it's history. The grounds where originally an airfield for Navel Airships (Blimps :)) during WWII. They used to patrol the East Coast of Florida for German U-boats (Submarines). Any how, back to the railroad. The museum has several displays that you can actually get in and walk around and a real Diesel/Electric locomotive that you can ride in. For those of you not in the know about locomotives (like myself), the locomotive I'm referring to is like the ones that hold up traffic at the most in opportune times. Only this one is a bit older and a single engine model. My daughter thought it was great, especially when she was asked if she wanted to blow the horn.

Next week I will try and do a better write up about the museum and some more/better facts about some of the equipment. The below photographs are not prize winners, but give you an idea of what this wonderful museum has to offer. A side note, these where taken with the infrared Digital Rebel XT and as such part of my infrared experiment.

No comments: